It’s probably a relief to hear that the only people happier in their jobs than Chief Execs are men (and women) of the cloth. But it may sound surprising that farmers are much happier people than pub landlords.
The Cabinet Office has been spending its time analysing the link between different jobs and life satisfaction. Out of 274 different categories, bar staff come 266th, and publicans in bottom spot at 274th.
As we all already knew, money doesn’t buy you happiness. Only three of the top ten jobs have average salaries in excess of £36,000. Why does the Cabinet Office care? Well the Government is looking at the relative importance of happiness and social wellbeing at the same time as encouraging economic growth.
TOP 10 JOBS
|RANK & OCCUPATION||MEAN INCOME|
(2) Chief executives and senior officials
(3) Managers / proprietors in agriculture
(4) Company secretaries
(5) Quality assurance and regulatory professionals
(6) Health care practice managers
(7) Medical practitioners
(9) Hotel managers and proprietors
(10) Skilled metal and electrical supervisors
BOTTOM 10 JOBS
|RANK & OCCUPATION||Ave Income|
|(274) Publicans and managers of licensed premises(273) Elementary construction occupations
(272) Debt, rent and other cash collectors
(271) Industrial cleaning process occupations
(270) Floorers and wall tilers
(269) Telephone salespersons
(268) Sports and leisure assistants
(267) Care escorts
(266) Bar staff
(265) Plastics process operatives